What is Asbestos?
Asbestos is a mineral fiber that has been used commonly in a variety of building construction materials. It has mostly been in use from the early 1900s through the 1970s, although its use in some materials continued through the 1980s. It is estimated that asbestos has been used in over 3000 products. Collectively, these products are known as asbestos-containing material (ACM).
Where is Asbestos Commonly Found?
The most common applications of asbestos found in residential buildings are identified below:
- Sprayed-on acoustical ceiling texture (popcorn ceiling)
- Vinyl floor tile
- Mastic adhesive
- Pipe insulation and elbow packing
- HVAC duct insulation
- Cement products such as siding, roof shingles, and vent pipes
- Window putty (glazing compound)
- Drywall and Joint Compound
- Flooring Felt
- Textured Paints