Asbestos Quick Facts
If you own a building constructed or significantly modified prior to 1990, it may contain asbestos. AQMD Rule 1403 and OSHA regulations requires owners to know the condition of asbestos in their buildings prior to the start of any demolition or renovation activities.
In California only Cal/OSHA Certified Asbestos Consultants are allowed to perform building asbestos building surveys and Asbestos Survey Reports. A certified asbestos consultant is a trained certified professional without a conflict of interest in the demolition(s) or renovation project(s). See the Business and Professions Code 7180. Asbestos survey checklist requirements
Asbestos Survey Report should include the following information:
- Scope of the survey,
- Who requested the survey,
- Provides a description of the facility, building or site being surveyed,
- The date and time of the inspection(s),
- The person’s name and qualifications performing the inspection and sampling,
- The inspection(s) results,
- The assessment results, and
- The CAC’s findings and response action recommendations.
If you are concerned with possible asbestos-related hazards as a result of a renovation, remodeling, asbestos removal or demolition activity of a building or structure, you can file a complaint using SCAQMD’s online Complaints system or by contacting SCAQMD at: 800-CUT-SMOG (288-7664)